Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Be The Change You Want To See

Yay for Earth Day! One of the things I'm looking forward to about being in San Diego is getting strange looks less often when I say I don't need a bag to carry my two items to the car. I mean seriously folks, you've got two hands and the car is usually less than 50 yards away. Do you really need a bag? I refuse bags almost everywhere I go because I either don't need one or I have my own anyway (the gigantic purse comes in handy there too). I could be misled, but from what I understand people in SD are much more conscientious (wow - Word didn't freak out so I must've spelled that right on the first try - go me) about recycling and environmental responsibility. It will be very nice to be around people like that for a change.

For Earth Day today I wore flip flops so I had no socks to put in the laundry, I let my hair air dry instead of using the hair dryer (and boy can you tell - flat and lifeless!), I refilled and recycled my water bottle, we had the windows open instead of the A/C or heat on, I walked to Starbucks instead of driving, I took my own mug (but the bastards were closed already when I got there - what Starbucks closes at 9pm?), I took my bag in with me at the grocery store and I bought local foods. Today was one of our days to work from home anyway, so that was cool too. Most of those things are actually just how I live my life, but today I was more aware of it. My worst offense for my carbon footprint is my Jeep's crappy gas mileage (but not nearly as bad as Mark's gas-guzzling Land Tank!), and my love of electronics. I guess a girl's gotta have some vices.

What did you do to celebrate Earth Day?

I'm off to read my book, feed my animals, and have a conversation with the stars before the Dreaming claims me. But since we're doing pictures in the mirror... here's mine:

For the curious, the card in front of my arm is the Reiki creed and it goes:

Just for today I will live the attitude of gratitude.
Just for today I will not anger.
Just for today I will not worry.
Just for today I will do my work honestly.
Just for today I will show love and respect for all living things.

Be here now. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Nice photo, there is no way anyone will get a photo of me in my mirror or otherwise, I prefer to remain a big old mystery to the world until you meet me of course ;) Your shot is great though, I like the angle you set up & did you PS the background a bit?

For Earth Day this year I drove to the car dealer & had a boatload of service done to make my car run better, walked the 2.5 miles home, walked the 2.5 miles back up there to pick it up and did all the same things I usually do to be conscious of the planet (turn off water while brushing teeth, etc).

I am going to blog in a bit about a story I found while going through my writing from 20 years ago. Kind of timely for an Earth day reference :)

5 days & counting...

draagonfly said...

This self-portrait was just a happy accident with a little help from PS to cover up what a mess my room is today! No planning involved. :)